Saturday, January 31, 2015

Random thoughts ...

** For the record: Patriots 34, Seahawks 13.

** Marshawn Lynch behaves like a dink. Part of the responsibility of a job in the NFL is representing your team and the league to the public and press. Answer some dumb questions from the press, have some fun. It's the Super Bowl. It's not all about you.

** Friend and I were discussing how people got so wrapped up with Deflategate but seem to pay so little attention to much weightier issues that might actually affect their lives or the lives of others.

I’m working on a theory that people take an interest in these shallow Kardashiany things so as not to face the reality of the important things. The avoidance theory. Denial. “If I ignore it, it’ll go away.”

That’s my generous theory.

My other theory is that people take an interest in those mundane tabloid things because they understand them and can make conversation about them and can seem as smart as their neighbor or friend, as opposed to talking about things they don’t understand as well like the National Debt or Ukraine or Boko Haram.

I have no problem with people being amused and entertained by silly things (heck, I'm the king of liking dumb nonsensical stuff) but it would be nice to see some other subjects taken as seriously by the general public.

** I really like the Gotham series on television, which is somewhat odd because I've never really gotten into the Batman movies except when Prince provides the soundtrack. I find Gotham to be very well written, cool characters, good vs. evil, all the things that make shows worth watching. Unfortunately I don't see it very high in the ratings so it will probably soon go the way of other great artistic pursuits I enjoyed like The Tick.

** Always good to receive one of those "Your Order Has Shipped" emails. Especially when it's from Tomatofest with your heirloom seeds! Yes, I live life on the edge.

** I am blessed to have a wife who really gets into UFC and MMA fighting. Though it is problematic when she throws one of those rear naked choke holds on me. So it looks like we're on tonight for watching the Silva vs. Diaz fight with a bunch of college kids. Her idea. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment