Sunday, January 4, 2015

Random thoughts ...

** There was a stretch in December where I spent parts of 12 of 16 days with my mother-in-law. Just sayin'.

** My mailbox was destroyed twice in one week by obnoxious drivers who didn't have the courtesy to stop and tell me that they couldn't drive on slippery roads. One was on Christmas Day. A neighbor saw them, knocked on my door and told me where the truck went. I didn't feel like calling the sheriff for such a minor deal, so I walked to that house and returned a piece of the bumper he left behind. "I was going to tell you, but needed to drop off some stuff first," he said, beer in hand, an hour after it happened. After meeting the doorknob, I regretted not reporting him. Rocket scientists nationwide need not worry about job competition from him.

** My son and youngest daughter are attending the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS) national conference in Nashville with about 10,000 others from across the country (thus the word "national"). I attended FOCUS in Orlando two years ago and those college kids really give a guy hope for the future. Pretty sure those kids would let you know if they accidentally destroyed your property.

** I really get tired of hearing adults complain about "kids now-a-days."

** I know a couple of the students recently nominated by our congressional delegation to attend the Air Force Academy. And have known several more over the years. They, along with the appointees to the other academies, are the cream of the crop of this year's senior class. Amazingly smart, mature and motivated young men and women. Hope.

** Looking like a long, cold January, but remember: Every day is one day closer to baseball season.

** I'm going to write a post one of these days about some of the dumb, bigoted adults I've run across. About every couple months I encounter some moron, in most cases an anti-Catholic one, with stupid comments and actions toward kids. One of these days ...

** Speaking of writing, my latest novel is in the hands of my editing posse. Early reports are good. One particular edit was caught that had me laughing. I meant to have a cowboy rancher in a bar wearing a NFR belt buckle, but I typed it as an NPR buckle. I don't believe National Public Radio gives out belt buckles, and the proof-reader thought maybe I was trying to be funny but thought he'd point it out, just in case. I'll change it to NFR. Can't be disrespecting the bull-riders. I'm not that dumb.

** Remember the name Bobby Trane. Just sayin'.

** Three seed catalogs so far have me plotting out my garden on paper. Good times.

** "Catalog" is a word that always gives me difficulty spelling. So does "squeal."

** That stretch of days I mentioned earlier also included my oldest daughter graduating from Black Hills State University with degrees in political science and history, receiving a job offer from our newly elected U.S. Senator, and getting married to her high school sweetheart. That's a heckuva two weeks for a lovely, talented, smart kid of which my contribution was molding her into a great baseball fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment