Sunday, December 4, 2011

"No one can write decently who is distasteful of the reader's intelligence, or whose attitude is patronizing." - E.B. White

I don't have many rules I follow when writing (as you know), but when I saw this quote from E.B., the author of Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little (as if you didn't know), it did click with me that I've always considered my readers smart (though easily annoyed when I over-use parenthesis).

Not to the extent of Dennis Miller, but I enjoy dropping some obscure references on occassion. I don't use the big words of George Will, who obviously doesn't underestimate his readers' intelligence, but I would use them if I knew some. When it comes to humor, I often rely on sarcasm, which can be dangerous, but there again I assume the reader gets it, or, if they don't, tough luck.

So I just wanted to make it clear that even if you are a moron reading my stuff, it's news to me and I won't treat you like one. This is a safe haven for morons.

No comments:

Post a Comment