Friday, November 4, 2011


Most long-term South Dakotans have firm opinions, pro or con, regarding Bill Janklow. Most have stories of personal interaction with him. And if you were a journalist during his tenure, you definately have stories about him.

I'm sure a lot of people will be sharing their Janklow antecdotes this weekend following the news that our former governor has terminal brain cancer. I have several as well, having interviewed him a handful of times and written about him several more as a columnist.

Overall, I consider myself a Janklow fan. I like him. He certainly has his flaws, and his manslaughter conviction attests to one of them. I share many of his flaws, but not as many of his virtues, such as his vast intelligence and speech-giving ability.

Here are some of the random interactions I recall with "Wild Bill."

* I attended Journalism City at Boys State in Aberdeen in 1981. Governor Janklow was the keynote speaker on the final night. I volunteered to cover his speech. He allowed me to interview him as he walked from the auditorium to an awaiting helicopter. I am sure I asked some of the dumbest questions possible (though I didn't ask him: "If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?"), yet he thoughtfully and courteously answered them. He never called me unsurly names, which I probably deserved.

* I once called him at home for, I think, a "New Year's Resolution" story I was doing at the Argus Leader. As I recall, he wasn't too thrilled with that interuption.

* When I was owner/editor of the Tea & Harrisburg Champion weekly newspaper, one of the smallest in the state, he always returned my interview requests. I respected him for that.

He also told me he kept two newspapers in the lobby of his governor's office in Pierre: The Tea & Harrisburg Champion and some other rag. I checked on my next trip to Pierre, and, yes, there was the Champion on the coffee table.

* In a column I once teased him for unknowingly stepping on my second-grade daughter's foot when we were in a gas station. Gov. Janklow called her at home the following Saturday, didn't talk to me, visited with her for a few minutes, apologized for stepping on her foot, and told her to stop in and say "Hi" next time she was in Pierre.

* I still have the note he sent me regarding a brilliant column I wrote. The note began: "Dear Mark, Any old jackass can kick in a barn door ..."

He had a point.

I wish the former Governor well. He was always good to me and my family; and South Dakota is a better place for his service to it.

God's speed, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment