Sunday, November 10, 2019

The Pride of country music

Wifey and I went to the Charley Pride concert last night at the Deadwood Mountain Grand in Deadwood. Expectations were low as I don't expect much from an 85-year-old. Figure it's an accomplishment when they get out of bed in the morning.


Charley exceeded my expectations. I've seen Willie Nelson and B.B. King in their 80s and Charley seemed the most spry. He wasn't doing cartwheels or anything, but he strode from one side of the stage to the other and was very engaged with the audience. His voice was strong and he seemed to enjoy showing off his deep range.

A couple times he seemed to briefly forget a couple lyrics, but the keyboard player who has been with him for over 40 years covered nicely for him and got him back on track.

I think some of the mild confusion was that he seemed to ad lib his set, which went for about 90 minutes. He sang his hits, like "Kiss An Angel Good Morning" but when audience members shouted out their suggestions he took their advice. On one song, he turned to the band and said: "Do you remember that one?" They nodded yes and they were off.

He's recorded over 500 songs and the keyboardist pointed out it would take 25 hours to sing them all. Charley said there's nobody he would want to listen to for 25 hours straight. Apparently he's never heard Prince.

Charley was very engaged with the audience, joked with them and was in good spirits. Seemed to enjoy himself.

He enjoyed telling stories between songs but acknowledged, "You didn't come to listen to me talk." He mentioned the old rumor that he is the illegitimate son of Hank Williams. Said it was a popular theory decades ago. He laughed at it and then mocked it by playing a couple Hank songs.

The venue appeared sold out. Might have been some standing room available but all the seats were full and I don't think they sold SRO tickets.

The crowd was older. Lots of gray and white hair. It was odd though, when you see a guy like him who I never really followed, because he was before my time, but he definitely had his groupies. The crowd loved him and repeatedly hollered out their affection.

It was a fun night, more fun than I anticipated. I probably wouldn't have gone, but it was something to do and I try to make it a point to see the legends when they come to the area. I hoped for the best and we got it. Good job, Charley.

No comments:

Post a Comment