Saturday, November 30, 2019

'Pet Teachers' kicks off tomorrow

I've had this short novel called "Pet Teachers" sitting on my computer for a few years now. It's like a fat old cat sitting on my desk staring at me. I ignore it, it ignores me; but occasionally I feel the need to feed it or pet it. That's a laborious way of saying I keep messing with it, editing it, making small changes here and there, mostly with the idea of making it longer. But it's gotten old and needs to go.


It's a distraction. It hampers my efforts on other projects as it diverts me and has my mind going there when it should be going elsewhere.

So I need to do something with it. While I'm close to publishing another novel, I don't really feel like going through that process with the much shorter "Pet Teachers." So I came up with this brilliant idea. It's actually more like a plain ol' idea, but thought I'd give it a try.

To get it out the door, or to the litter box, if you may, I reckoned I would post it on this blog. Figured I'd post three or four chapters a day in hopes people would return the next day for a couple more until this kitty is out the door or put down, if you may. The last installment is Friday, Dec. 13, an ominous date, as it should be.

"Pet Teachers" is about three teachers in the Black Hills area. They were forced into their occupations by a blackmailing Dean of Students at their university after a couple bad decisions made it impossible  for them to pursue their chosen, more prosperous, careers.

As part of her "you owe me one" follow-up, each summer the Dean also sets them up with a job. Not a summer siding or roofing houses or working at the golf course, like most teachers do during June, July and August. Her jobs are of the illegal variety and usually highly lucrative.

When she died, her daughter, now president of the university, carried on the tradition.

Last summer they attempted a heist at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and, suffice to say, it didn't go entirely according to the teachers' plans.

Tune in tomorrow to kick off their festivities. Then read all during the week while you're at work. I think you'll enjoy it, even if your boss won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment