Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Motley crew reaped the medals

I’m not a big history guy (thus I tend to repeat a lot of the same mistakes.) My idea of history is divided into two eras: pre-Van Halen with David Lee Roth and then the rest of world history post-David Lee Roth.


I do dabble though, primarily in Israeli history and specifically the intelligence and defense areas. When I need any more information, I go to Mr. Google or my daughter, a history major at Black Hills State.

That being said, here is a very interesting story, even if you aren’t a history buff. The most decorated combat flight in U.S. history wasn’t in a famous, major battle and was a photo-recon flight. We’re talking two CMH’s and several Distinguished Service Crosses for the crew. And they sound like a bunch of cool dudes I would’ve liked to hang out with.
As odd as all this sounds, the South Pacific theatre in the early days of World War II was a chaotic area scattered over thousands of miles with very little equipment. Having a plane with an apparently nutty crew who volunteered for every awful mission not surprisingly made the commanding officers look the other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment