Saturday, August 10, 2013

The kids' journal ...

One thing I'd highly recommend for any parent is to keep a journal of the little things that happen in your kids' lives. I did it when mine were young, not on an everyday basis, but just often enough to keep track of some the things I would've forgotten, which is a lot.

I ran across it tonight while going through some old papers. It brought a smile to my face - kind of along the lines of Kids Say The Darndest Things. Now, 21 and 19, here are some of the entries I noted when they were ages 2-4.

* Katie and I climbed the lookout tower by Brandon. When we got to the top, Katie said: "Where's the slide?" Now, whenever we go past it, she says: "There's the tower. No slide, just lots of steps.

* We were driving in the car and Katie was looking at the back of a Bugles box. I asked her what it said and she replied: "When empty, go to the store and buy some more."

*Katie had a chair set up a couple feet from the couch and would put her feet on one, hands on the other, and turn around. Every time she did it she would holler: "I won! I'm the greatest!" She did it a few times before falling and got up: "I lost. I'm not the greatest."

* Katie told me in the car: "Mom knows a lot, but she doesn't know tons like you and me." (That's my favorite.)

* Katie, Rylee and I went to a Renner Monarchs game and it got rained out after 1 inning. When we were leaving, Katie said sadly: "But that's my favorite baseball team."

* Katie asked Nancy, regarding me being named editor of the Tri-State Neighbor: "Does that mean Dad can tell the computers what to do?"

* I was at the Sioux Empire Fair for work and twice saw Rylee's daycare class walking around. I stayed back so Rylee wouldn't see me and get upset for not being able to come with me. When I picked her up at daycare, one of her teachers said that when Rylee got on the bus she said: "I saw my Daddy." When we got home Nancy asked her what she saw at the Fair. Rylee said: "Daddy." Then she asked what I was doing and Rylee said: "Hiding."

* Katie gets into watching "ER." One week they had an episode with a baby in the hospital. It continued on tot the next week's episode, and Katie saw it and asked: "Has that baby been in the hospital all week?"

* While sledding with Katie, she flipped over, landed hard, got up and said: "That was a double uff da!"

* Rylee told me: "Daddy, Katie called me a tattle-tale!"

No comments:

Post a Comment