Saturday, July 15, 2023

Almost found the Bo Derek of novels

 I'm impulsive by nature but have learned to control the impulses pretty well as my hair has grayed. But, occasionally, it slips like: "Hey, look at that cool yellow Mustang for sale!" A day later it's in my driveway.

I almost had another slip after reading a recent novel. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved it. I was jazzed. Maybe the best book I'd ever read. I was ready to give it the perfect rating.

Usually after I finish a book, I immediately retreat to my library/greenhouse/aquarium/conservatory/spare bedroom  and fill out my index card reviewing the book and stock the book on its proper shelf. But this time, I waited a couple days ... to think. I was about to enter uncharted territory. 

Before I gave the first-ever 10 rating on the 10-point Haugenometer, I wanted to make sure I didn't make a rash decision. So I pondered. What makes a book perfect? I've given 9s before, but never gone beyond.

In my ponderings I didn't have any great breakthroughs, but figured I wanted a book that did the following:

- A page-turner.

- An occasional chuckle.

- An emotion that touched me: Fear, anger, sadness, etc.

- A good twist.

- An ending that knocks my socks off.

- Makes me want to read it again.

- Causes me to annoy my coworkers by talking about it so much.

- Has a little sexiness to it.

Thankfully, I waited. Because upon further review, this book hit only seven of the eight notes -- one note shy of a full octave. Not quite worthy of being the Bo Derek of books (Millenials, Google her). More like the Farrah Fawcett of books - a 9.8.

The only thing it lacked and kept it from a perfect 10 was it needed a little sexy. It needed to, as Justin Timberlake sang, bring sexy back. Nothing hardcore, just a little brief nudity or some oohs and aahs. I'm surprised there wasn't something there considering much of the book took place in a whorehouse (your only hint). While it's just a minor quibble, it's a quibble none-the-less.

While I write up the review and make you wait on pins and needles for the unveiling of what I think is the best book I've ever read, but not the perfect book, what do you think constitutes the perfect book? And have you encountered it yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment