Tuesday, January 5, 2021

I met a new friend, Ed McBain

 I've fallen upon another pulp noir mystery writer best known as Ed McBain. I've seen his name in Lawrence Block books and elsewhere and finally decided to give him a try.

McBain is a Mystery Writer's Association Grand Master, the highest honor accorded such writers. I recently finished "So Nude, So Dead." It was good. A 7- on the Haugenometer.

At the end of the book a short story was included called "Die Hard." It's twenty pages of marvelousness. (Reminder, everything doesn't have to be a 70,000-word novel.)

Can you beat a better description of a person than this?:

"He was a little man with a little voice, one of the many stamped from the mold, one of those subway-strappers. He had a round face with a long nose that tried its damnedest to peer into his mouth. His lips were thin and narrow, and his eyes were carrying luggage, heavy luggage."

No you can't. Looks like I found another kindred spirit to read and learn from. Ed McBain, aka Salvatore Albert Lombino, Evan Hunter, John Abbott, Curt Cannon, Hunt Collins, Ezra Hannon, and Richard Marsten.

I love that those writers from the 50s, 60s and 70s used so many pen names. It certainly causes confusion when trying to collect their works, but it's fun. I might have to try one.

I'm also smitten with the words they use, like "gin joint" for bars and "heaters" for cigs. As for "subway-strappers," I had to look that one up.

It means: One who grips a hanging strap or similar device for support while riding as a passenger on a bus or subway. Or, one who uses public transportation.

I might've figured that one out on my own eventually, but, like most things, probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment