Sunday, November 1, 2020

Finished: Chris Bohjalian's 'The Double Bind'

 This was a book that's hard to write about without giving away spoilers. It was a bit of a slow read at times but kept me going to see how it ended.

When it did end, particularly the last two pages, I sat stunned and had to ponder things a bit to bring it all together in my head. Then, when I thought I had it all put together, I went to Goodreads to read the reviews and see if I really did have it figured out. I did. 

I saw something coming, but the twist was about five times twistier than I foresaw. It was good, clever, but many of the reviews were scathing. Some people just downright hated it. They were some of the most gruesome reviews I've ever seen. But others loved it. I figure that's a good sign that the author took some risks. When you do that, it's sink or swim with some readers.

A particular one-star review made me laugh:

So I am left wondering: Why is this book all over the front door displays at Barnes & Noble? Probably b/c they are trying to get rid of it.

I gave it a 7+ out of 10 on the Haugenometer. Goodreaders gave it a 3.8 on their 5-point scale, so about on par with me.

Here's a portion of the Goodreads synopsis:

In Chris Bohjalian's astonishing novel, nothing is what it at first seems. Not the bucolic Vermont back roads college sophomore Laurel Estabrook likes to bike. Not the savage assault she suffers toward the end of one of her rides. And certainly not Bobbie Crocker, the elderly man with a history of mental illness whom Laurel comes to know through her work at a Burlington homeless shelter in the years subsequent to the attack.

Bohjalian is the author of "The Flight Attendant," which I really enjoyed. It's been made into a movie coming to HBO starring Kaley Cuoco of "Big Bang Theory" fame. She seems like a good pick for that part, a slutty, alcoholic, flight attendant.

No comments:

Post a Comment