Saturday, January 14, 2017

So now I have to buy a book I wasn't going to

As you've seen by now, I'm not a fan of boycotts and bans. So I see something like this and it really burns me: A bunch of jealous children's book authors are protesting a book deal of Simon & Schuster with Milo Yiannopoulos. Basically, he's getting a $250k advance and they're not.


I don't know much about ol' Milo, except that he's gay, not liberal, and has said some controversial things. Oh, no! In this day and age of snowflakes and professional undies-in-a-bunchers, that's practically a felony.

Fine, the kids' lit authors are entitled to their opinion, but seriously? Authors wanting to curb free speech? And then they have the audacity to suggest they aren't suppressing free speech because Milo has other platforms (internet & organizations) to get his message out.

That's like saying it's okay to ban Huckleberry Finn in the libraries because people can read it online. What a bunch of crap from a bunch of crybabies who you'd think would know better.

I wonder if these kiddy book writers also protested other Simon & Schuster authors who have said or done controversial things: Hunter S. Thompson, Glenn Beck, Hillary Clinton, Mark Levin, Stephen King, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Donald Trump, Dick Cheney, Dan Brown, Carrie Fisher. Among others.

And the story mentions bookstores who plan to ban his book. As if they carry no books somebody else might find offensive. And they don't even know if there will be anything offensive in this book, only that they don't like the politics of its author. Good grief. Book sellers censoring. Craziness.

So many people disappointing me with their hypocrisy these days.

It's not just the hypocrisy of people who should be celebrating free speech actually thwarting it, but their stupidity in thinking boycotts work. All it does is bring more attention to Milo. Want to shut him up, ignore him.

I have a sticker on my portfolio at work that says "I buy banned books." I'd normally have no interest in Milo. Nothing against him, just no interest. But now I do. Now I'll buy his book, assuming our local bookstore sells it. If they don't, they'll be hearing from me.

As my wife and others who know me will attest, if you want me to do something, tell me I shouldn't.

The book is called Dangerous. It comes out March 14. Pre-order it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment