Thursday, September 15, 2016

Faulkner and 'The Bear'

I've been reading some William Faulkner lately, because that's the way English major snobs roll, and I found this funny in his Wikipedia entry. His resignation letter from the Post Office:
As long as I live under the capitalistic system, I expect to have my life influenced by the demands of moneyed people. But I will be damned if I propose to be at the beck and call of every itinerant scoundrel who has two cents to invest in a postage stamp.
 This, sir, is my resignation.
And, no, by "reading Faulkner" I didn't mean I was just reading his Wikipedia entry. I'm reading "The Bear." It's a chore (one sentence was over 600 words long), but I've always found that while Faulkner can make you work for it, it usually pays off. Brilliant, brilliant man.

No comments:

Post a Comment