Thursday, September 6, 2012

Coming to a theater near you ...

Three books I’ve read are being made into movies coming out soon. I went to Lawless last weekend and saw the trailers for Dean Koontz’s Odd Thomas and James Patterson’s I, Alex Cross. I am currently reading Koontz’s latest in the Odd Thomas series and love it.

I didn’t know they were making a movie out of Yann Martel’s Life of Pi until I saw a news blurb today saying they’d dumped Tobey Maguire from the cast because he was too big of a name and overshadowed the other actors. I feel your pain, Tobey.

Life of Pi is one of my top five contemporary novels. It was so good I’m not sure I want to go see the movie in fear of it denigrating my memory of the novel. I wish Martel were a more prolific writer because I also enjoyed his Beatrice and Virgil. One of the strangest books I’ve ever read, I several times considered quitting it part way through. But I kept wondering where he was going with it, and am glad I stuck with it.

While you wait for these movies to come out, check out some of these stories worthy of linkage:

** Each year, the World Science Fiction Society presents the Hugo Award for Science Fiction Achievement. Browse this year's winners, including Jo Walton's Best Novel-winning "Among Others," and see past winners.

** So I quit drinking 15 years ago. I didn’t know Budweiser would take it so hard.

** Apparently, Emily Dickinson was no 19th Century version of Kim Kardashian. Thank God. As only the second-known photo of her has been discovered.

** My main man, Prince, is MTV royalty. Here is a collection of his video hits.

** Eleven great Secret Service code names.


No comments:

Post a Comment