Thursday, January 29, 2015

Finished: Lee Child's '61 Hours'

Got a little out of order with the Jack Reacher novels, but so be it. This one 61 Hours is set in South Dakota, so that made Reacher bustin' skulls even more interesting. While there are references to Huron, Sioux Falls, Rapid City and even Cavour, the town he gets snowed in at is a fictional town named Bolton. It's just off the interstate where a new federal prison has been built.

Throw in some corrupt cops, prison guards and a Mexican drug lord on his way and you have the makings of another good Reacher novel. It's even more violent than most Reacher books (not like that's a bad thing). Reacher's main mission in the book is to protect an elderly lady librarian who is set to testify against a motorcycle gang who has set up camp just outside town, of course.

I highlighted this conversation between the drug lord Plato and his man on the ground in Bolton:

"So for your own sake, get the job done. I don't care about bystanders. Wipe out the entire damn town if you have to. The entire state, for all I care. How many people live in South Dakota, anyway?"
"About eight hundred thousand."
"OK. That's your upper limit for collateral damage. Get it done."
"I will. I promise." 
Plato hung up and poured himself another cup of coffee.
There are some other highlights I made, but they give away the ending so I won't ruin it for you. All in all, another great Reacher book.

I gave it a 6-plus on my 10-point system. Amazon gives it a 4 of 5. Goodreads a 4.05 of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment