Monday, December 16, 2013

Finished: 'George Washington's Secret Six'

So I finished the novel, George Washington’s Secret Six (half price now!) by Brian Kilmeade. It was a quick, enjoyable read about a group of New York-area spies General Washington worked with.


A couple things jumped out at me about it. They used invisible ink. And not just any invisible ink, but a newly-formulated ink, because apparently everybody used invisible ink back then. I mixed some up myself, and lo and behold, it works! If you have the solution you can rub it on the  blank area of screen below and read my secret message:




If you didn't get it, your loss, because what I wrote is really profound and funny too.

The second thing that I thought of is that, you know what, not everybody in America agreed with each other back then either. You had your patriots and you had your loyalists to the King. People disagreed on what was best for the country. So apparently whether it was 1780s, 1860s, 1960s or today, Americans disagree and the country survived.

So this tripe of “Why can’t we all get along?’ is just utopian sloganeering that I find annoying and shallow. You can hope for it, wish for it, even work for it, but it ain’t gonna happen. Disagreement among Americans on issues is good. When we all start agreeing on everything, I’ll be worried. Like that will ever happen anyway.

Back to the book. Pretty good. You might learn something and be entertained. Glad I bought it.

No comments:

Post a Comment