Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Breaking News: South Dakotans can write

I'm a couple days late to this because I've been busy cleaning up Basset Hound puppy pee (his name is Huckleberry). But the Sioux Falls Argus Leader had a couple nice stories on Sunday regarding the literary renaissance in South Dakota.

Along with that, they found it in their heart to include moi' in a story on the e-publishing aspect of S.D. literary-ness.

Among the words of wisdom regarding Joshua's Ladder and Zoo Falls, respectively:
“It sat around for quite some time, and I decided that I was tired of rereading it all the time,” says Haugen, who found a company that allowed him to upload the book and publish printed copies on demand. “I don’t plan on getting rich with this method, but I like writing, and it’s not too fun to write something and just have it sitting there.”
...
“I’m kind of impatient, and I don’t handle rejection well,” Haugen says. “If I did this the old way, I’d have to send out 100 manuscripts and letters, and years could go by without a publisher ever bidding on it.”
...
“The Internet has evened the playing field,” Haugen says. “Unless you have a diet book or you’re Snookie, it’s hard to get a publisher behind you. ... If I can make a name as a regional writer, I’ve found my niche.”

No comments:

Post a Comment