Saturday, September 8, 2012

So I read my first e-book ...

My wife has one of those Kindle Fire things you may have heard of. I see her on the couch with it every night. I usually give it an eye roll, like when I see her on the Pinterest website or watching the Food Channel.

I'm a bit old-school when it comes to reading, maybe even a little high-brow about it. I've looked down my nose at the e-readers. Sure, I don't have a problem with people downloading my e-book or short stories. In fact, I encourage it. Mo' money.

 But I finally went over to the dark side last week and downloaded the First Assassin, mostly because I'd been thinking of buying it but then saw a limited-time-only 99-cent offer at National Review and figured "what the heck." The offer just kept staring at me. Kind of a like a link that says: "Jennifer Love Hewitt in a bikini." How does a guy NOT click on that?

 So I read it. All in all, the book was kind of meh. And so was the reading experience on an e-reader. I just found it too easy to speed-read through things. Maybe it was the novel, but I don't think so. I also didn't like not being able to write in the book. I know, I know, there's some keys you can click and do-hickey to tap and I could type something in. But then I don't have the book on my bookshelf to pull down and check out when the mood strikes.

 I'll probably hi-jack wifey's Kindle from time to time, but I'm less apt to now than I was. Ya'll enjoy it. No sweat off my brow. It just doesn't do it for me. I'll stick to using computers for the reason they were intended:

1 comment: