Monday, July 30, 2012

Will the e-book bubble burst?

This is a pretty devastating analysis of the state of epublishing and social networking for authors. Can’t say I disagree with much of it. Sure, I have a Facebook account, Twitter account and my own blog, but I’m not under the impression that they are the way to success. And, man, if I spent 80 percent of my time on social networking, I’d be a basket case (whatever that is).

My philosophy is to just write, and keep writing, and try to avoid run-on sentences, and overuse of commas, and stuff, like, that. Someday, lightning might strike or maybe not. But I'll have written a lot. As Mr. Morrison says ...

In the end it's all about stats: the hidden ones and the real ones. If you're writing and trying to self-sell and net-promote, do your own stats. Calculate your investment of time and money in writing versus social media. Do you want to spend 80% of 80% of your time Facebooking about cats in the hope that you'll make a 2.12% increase in sales on a book you had to write in 18 days? Do you want to spend 80% of your time creating unpaid market propaganda for the social media industry?
Or would you rather step away from the hype altogether and spend as much time as you can being a 100% writer?

No comments:

Post a Comment